A stubborn D?

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:27:16 -0400

Hi Phil,

First of all, S&S Ds do NOT like to have their pitch changed.  It
could take as many as four tunings to get the thing stabilized where
you want it.

Check the plate webbing screws.  Not too likely but the block may not
be touching the plate.  I would use a jack and support the block like
when stringing the recheck the screws.  If they turn you have a
source.

Tighten all the other screws and bolts.

Check the bearing.

Using a thread check to see that you have positive crown in this
section.  Zero crown or bearing can cause major stability problems.

Excessive friction across all bearing points from tuning pin to hitch
pin is a cause.  Protek is a potential solution.

What is the age of the piano and are the new strings less problematic
than the old one.

CHanging a piano from 440 to 442 and back on a D constitute a pitch
raise / lower.  Two tuning s each way and MUST be paid accordingly.  I
would charge an additional $120.00 for this.  You should not do the
work for free and the next performer should not suffer the
consequences.  Either the house pays or the performer pays.

I had an S&S D in a church in Dallas that I never did figure out why
it was so unstable.  It was one of those SOBs that make you doubt your
skills and challenge your integrity.  I truly hated that piano since I
had to tune it to the organ three or four times a year.  ARRRRGHHHH!!

If all seems "normal" then I would not hesitate to remove all the
strings in the top to sections, file and lubricate the bearing points,
change the felts, CA the bridge pins and resting.  I might even note
torque for each pin and mike each one as it is removed then mike all
the replacement pins and pick the appropriate pin to match the torque
and size of the old pins.  After all, if you are going to tune this
piano four or five times a week or even as many times a month you want
it to be the way YOU want it.

Check, look, measure, understand, define objectives then do it.

		Newton