A stubborn D?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:51:37 EDT

In a message dated 4/12/1999 6:46:48 PM, Phil wrote:

<<"Just got done with a Steinway D bringing it down to A=440 from 442..It
took 2+ tunings to get it to hold at 442..Octaves 5 & 6 were very
stubborn going up to 442 and coming back down to 440..more than i think
they should have been.">>

Phil;
  First off, no matter how bad you want this account don't let em
see you sweat :-)
  The first thing that comes to mind is bearing points, i.e. agraffes, capo
bars, bridge pins/bridge.  I have found 'most' 'D's to be a friendly tuning
insrument, each with quirks but still relatively easy to tune.  This  changes
very quickly when the strings don't render easily and one of the symptoms of
faulty rendering is what you have described in your post. In the short term
you might want to try some protek (?) on the capos in the top treble where
you mentioned having the most trouble. If that helps then put it on each
bearing point except for the bridge, i.e. capo bar, agraffes, plate bearing
felts. Just remember "a little dab'll do you".
  There could, of course, be other reasons but this one is what I would check
out first and it is the easiest and quickest to confirm or disprove.
Jim Bryant (FL)