A stubborn D?

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:10:43 -0700

Phil Bondi wrote:

> Just got done with a Steinway D bringing it down to A=440 from 442..It
> took 2+ tunings to get it to hold at 442..Octaves 5 & 6 were very
> stubborn going up to 442 and coming back down to 440..more than i think
> they should have been...will not hold a tune...There is alot of un-original wire on this D...Some of the tuning pins have been pushed further into the block...simply keeping the piano in tune..sounds easy enough, right?!?!?

There are many many possible reasons that it appears not to stay in
tune, but switching pitches is certainly a contributing factor.  Other
factors being equal, a piano which is regularly tuned to the same pitch
will usually be quite stable.  I have had requests (usually from
European violinists, never from a pianist) to tune a piano to A=442Hz,
and I have always refused.  Well...not quite.  I tell them that the
piano might have stability problems that will generate complaints for
some time, that I would charge more to do the tuning, and that they will
be asking for more frequent tunings afterward.  That generally does the
trick.

Other possibilities are the unevenness of pin height or pin tightness.
(Why else would some have been driven more than others?)  Replacement
strings could be a factor if some of them are still more elastic than
the rest.  Seating could be another, especially with replacement
strings.

Finally, there is the question of humidity.  If it is not controlled,
there could easily be significant swings which would cause the string to
constantly have to be reseated back and forth at different points on the
bearings (especially the front bearings) and never get properly
stabilized.

Similarly, if there is unusual friction at the bearing points, it may be
difficult to equalize tension throughout the string.

There are many other possibilities, which I'm sure you will get in other
postings, but these are the ones that come to mind for me, at least from
what you describe.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA