Trashing Kimball-false beats

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:38:58 EDT

 List,

This question was posed to me privately but I feel that it is of general
interest so I am answering it publicly, leaving the identity of the writer
out.  I hope that person doesn't mind.

<< Bill, one question. My complaint about Kimballs is that there are many
 false beats everywhere in the piano. I recently had a callback on a
 kimball..three months after the tuning.

 After the last tuner finish his job, the piano sounded bad within a
 week! So I did better.

 My theory is that pianos with lots of false beats don't need to go out
 of tune very much before they sound bad. I have some pianos that sound
 great after a year, but they are Yahamha, Steinways,  some with damp
 chasers.

 Why do you think there are so many false beats in the Kimballs?  Perhaps
 poorly made bridges?  Mechanically, they're ok, but I'm rarely sastified
 with the tuning and pray that I don't get a callback.
 --  >>

There are many reasons that a piano might go out of tune quickly. Although it
has not been my usual experience, I have had very good success with certain
Kimballs staying remarkably well in tune and frustrating disappointment with
certain Steinways, Yamahas and other fine, expensive pianos.  There is, in
fact a Steinway L that I have serviced for 20 years that used to go wildly
out of tune very quickly.  It is in a French-Speaking residence house on the
university campus.  I go there every week for dinner so I see the piano and
hear it often.

Some years ago I installed a complete Dampp-Chaser system with multiple
dehumidifiers and a string cover.  That did help considerably but even though
the piano gets tuned at least 4 times per year and sometimes more for some
special occasions, I still find it sometimes very disappointingly out of
tune.  It also has a number of false beats but everybody loves it and so do I.

My family had a Kimball studio when I was growing up and my sister has it
now.  I tune it every three years, whether it needs it or not and never have
to change the pitch.  It used to have a few false beats but I fixed them with
a string seating tool called the "False Beat Eliminator".

I would not characterize Kimball pianos in general as "having false beats
everywhere".  The one you are having a problem with may well have more than
its share but not all of them do.  Even the finest pianos can develop them.
I'm not sure what all of the reasons for false beats are but it is usually
associated with the termination point on the bridge.  If the string has
ridden up on the bridge pin, for example, the pin can act as a kind of
"flagpole" and cause the pitch to waver up and down.  In this case, a string
seating tool such as the "False Beat Eliminator" or any other technique for
seating strings can be effective.

There could be another problem with the bridge that won't respond to this
kind of technique and pounding too hard on a string to try to seat it could
only damage the piano further.  A wound string in particular may have a
falseness to it that is in its winding that cannot be remedied except through
replacement.  Some plain wire can also have a flalse sound.  This can be
remedied by string replacement.

On a fine piano, it is sometimes possible to "eliminate" a false beat when
tuning a unison.  If the pitch of one string goes up and down, you might
actually be able to cancel out the beat by very careful unison tuning.  This
requires some advanced experience and skill but I do know of some very fine
tuning technicians who can do it effectively.

In the instance of a very common piano such as a Kimball console, however,
don't beat yourself up or your brains out over false beats.  Try some string
seating techniques, if you like, but beyond that, just accept the situation.
The likelihood is that your customer cannot hear that which frustrates you
anyway.  You do need to produce a stable tuning where the unisons stay where
you put them and don't fail just by playing the piano.  I accomplish this by
using muting strips and a "rough" tuning followed by a fine tuning and good,
firm test blows.  If your unisons fail, it is that which probably makes the
piano sound "bad", as you say, not the false beats.

I'll give you a case in point about a Kimball console with false beats that
worried and frustrated me until I realized that the customer couldn't even
hear what I could.  A friend of mine in Madison moved back to his childhood
home in a farmhouse about an hour and a half away to care for his elderly and
ailing mother.  He was happy to be back with the piano he loved since he only
had an electronic keyboard in his apartment in town.

He is a very fine vocalist with a sweet, lyric tenor voice and loves to play
Bach and religious music.  He understands about HT's and calls them "musical
tunings".  He wanted me to tune his piano because he wanted what he
considered to be truly musical harmony, not the kind of false, arbitrary
chord voicings that he considers ET to have.

  He was also very sensitive to the piano's pitch, which had sunken to about
20 cents flat.  To him, that was disastrous.  He is one of those who uses the
term, "perfect pitch".  He very much required Standard Pitch *and* a
Well-Tempered Tuning to suit his needs and taste.  This is an example of how
Standard pitch or so-called "perfect pitch" and ET are seperate issues, one
having no bearing upon the other.

I drove out on a Saturday and cleaned the piano out, tightened the action,
spot leveled the keys, took up lost motion and adjusted let-off, raised the
pitch and fine tuned.  When I was finished, I was disappointed with a few
notes in the treble which I told him I could not tune very well.  When he
listened to them, he said, "What's wrong with that?  That's in tune."  I
responded that if this were a concert tuning, it wouldn't be acceptable at
all.  He only sensed the general pitch of the falsely beating unisons and
found them to be no problem at all.

He invited me to dinner and afterwards, he played and we both sang some
classical music together and separately.  There was no question in either of
our minds that the Kimball piano served well as a true, musical instrument,
not "marketing garbage" as someone just recently remarked, in poor taste, on
this List.  Once in the context of music, I was not bothered either by the
false beats that I could hear in the context of tuning.

I hope this has given the writer of the question and others on the List a
different perspective than that which has usually been offered about Kimball
pianos and the inherent flaw known as a "false beat" that virtually any piano
can have.

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin