1956 Steinway console

Paul Plumb plumb@execulink.com
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:39:42 -0400

Dear List,

I have no idea of the value of this piano.  Would anyone care to give me
some rough estimates?

Over the years I have become very familiar with the value of lesser quality
pianos.  However, this is the very first Steinway console I have ever seen.
 It needs a minor regulation, some felt removed from the hammers, and many
center pins have too much friction.  The cabinet is a Queen Anne walnut and
shows normal oxidation wear - no scratches.  The sound is not as good as a
Kawai or Yamaha of comparable size.  But I assume that the Steinway name
brings more $$.

Also - thanks to those who responded to my query last week concerning a
Vose grand where the tuning pins were very loose and the plate holes were
not large enough to introduce larger pins.  The pins indeed were tapered,
as two of you thought, and tapping them in slightly produced excellent
results.

Paul Plumb, B.Mus.,
Plumb Pianos