low quality, and high quality

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 05:44:36 EDT

Antare wrote,  ( and I agree with):
><<  I love to work with really well made, beautiful instruments of high
>class, and I have
>absolutely made it my goal to keep it that way. >>

Greetings,
    There sure are a lot of people that seem to be sensitive and antagonistic
to the "grand-only" or rarified tuner.  There have been a number of value
judegments passed on how another person structures their clientele.  We
jumped right into the moral bathtub with the piano needs of the public, and
"honor" to be found in working with the older,  "lesser" brands.
     Well,  I think we need to get the "quality" discussion back where it
belongs. Some writers seem to have forgotten the MONEY aspects. It is
ludicrous to think that my time should be as valuable in a living room with a
Whitney spinet as it is on a concert stage.  Risk and gain are proportional,
and there is a lot more risk to my reputation,(and ability to price high) out
there on the stage.
     I am not refusing to work on "Mrs. Jones" spinet because it is a piece
of marketing garbage,  I refer her on because she would be a lot better
served with a $60 tuning than a $100 tuning.
     I tune for the money, and the best return I have found on my time is
with the most expensive pianos.  We should all continually attempt to make
our time more valuable as our careers progress , and this will often cause a
gradual evolution in the ol' Rolodex.
    If a technician feels a moral obligation to attend to all the pianos of
the world,  God bless them.  I don't feel that need, just give me a steady
diet of the good ones and I will suffer in silence.
Regards to all,
Ed Foote