low quality, and high quality

Ellsworth HOOD@uwplatt.edu
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 22:32:58 -0500 (CDT)

I'm in the boondocks too, and find old uprights which are a third low with very
loose pins in the bass and sometimes broken action parts.  I do the best I can
- I don't always bring them up to pitch - aprt way usually, then more the next
time etc.  And have put bigger pins in the few loose ones which setting did not
help.  In these cases you do what you can to get the music playing.  Always
accompanied by an edifying lecture about how things should be, what could or
should be done, etc.  Usually it's purely economic - they have the old piano
from the church basement which didn't work etc.  A couple of times there has
been so much rust a lot of strings broke and we gave up.
	Margaret Hood, Platteville boondocks, Wis.