low quality, and high quality

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:09:10 -0500

I suppose you guys are from a large city, huh? Down here in rural
Mississippi, I have found that money earned from working on any old piano is
just as green and spends just the same as that money from a high class one.
It is great if one can work on only superior instruments, but I enjoy
working on just about any piano. It is personally rewarding to make
improvements on the old clunkers, and it makes the owners happy. I like
helping people make the most of what they have.

Sometimes my hands even get dirty.  They wash clean, though.  :-)

I suppose that since I am somewhat of a beginning tech that I should work on
whatever comes available, but I don't think that I will come to the place
where I refuse to take money that someone else  is willing to give me for a
little effort.

Whatever works for you fellas is fine, though.

Another perspective,

:-)

John Formsma

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 4:38 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: low quality, and high quality

=========================
>To those who now might think that I am maybe picky and arrogant, I say : I
>love to
>work with really well made, beautiful instruments of high class, and I have
>absolutely made it my goal to keep it that way.
>
>Antares

A lady called me last week wanting her *free* old upright tuned. She got mad
when I tried to decline gracefully, so I spent about ten minutes discussing
my reasons with her. Finally, she said she understood, and my reluctance to
do the tuning seemed reasonable under the circumstances. She also thanked me
for the explanation, since none of the other techs who refused her that day
had bothered to tell her anything but NO. I'd like to think I saved her some
grief, but I expect she kept calling until she either found someone to do
the work for her, or ran out of names in the Directory. At least she had a
clearer idea of what she was up against after we talked.

 Ron