Refinishing fiasco (story)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 17:52:08 -0400

There are more, but this will be the last one. (Altogether now... H u r r a y!)

The call was from a prospective client. The husband had decided to refinish
the piano himself. We all know the routine, but this one has a new twist.
Instead of sealing the piano shut with paint, this owner was a
perfectionist. He had meticulously removed the various components. While on
a roll, he decided that the internal parts could also stand some
"individual attention".

The semi-accurate phrasing from the phone call: "You shouldn't have any
problems. My husband has already done the hard part. All the action parts
are removed from that long wooden thing, and are cleaned and sorted in
separate boxes by like kind. Everything is stored in the hall closet,
waiting for you to put them back on. He even sorted those little round
paper things into separate containers."

Had I not already seen this before, I would have agreed to a service call,
just for the experience. Instead, I suddenly became "too busy" at that moment.

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate