Refinishing fiasco (story)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 17:25:54 -0400

Another short one.

This call was -from- a refinisher. He was in a panic because the piano was
scheduled to be returned to the owner, and the piano "wasn't working
right". I visited the shop. The owner explained that in addition to
refinishing, "they had also replaced some parts", and had done "other stuff".

I found a newly refinished piano with the action sticking quite a distance
out of the cavity. The shop owner said, "We can't get this stick (keyslip)
or these pieces (fallboard, cheekblocks) back on". A quick perusal
indicated that this was the least of their problems.

They had purchased and installed new hammers on new shanks -- by simply
gluing the hammers onto the ends of the full-length shanks. They then had
to bend the backchecks back so far that the checks were totally missing the
hammer tails, instead they were serving as action "stand-offs" by hitting
the bulkhead.

There were many other downstream effects, but I'll stop here. -Everything-
(with feeling) had been either replaced, changed or moved, to the extent
that there was not one original reference remaining to serve as a guide.
Not even the original plate registering remained!

In spite of needing the additional work at the time, I walked away from
this one too!

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
  Redmond, WA -- Microsoft announced today that the
  official release date for the new operating system
  "Windows 2000" will be delayed until the second
  quarter of 1901.  -From Penny Pennington (p2)