Refinishing fiasco (story)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:18:15 EDT

In a message dated 4/07/1999 10:55:23 AM, Del wrote:

<<"The next time she's out to save a
few bucks she'll find another Mr M to help her out.">>

There is a saying, that I missremember mostly, but it goes something like.....

"there will always be someone willing to do the job a little bit cheaper for
those who seek the work done as cheaply as possible....these two are each
others natural prey"

 I don't think I would touch it at this point, even to the point of, as Del
said, not selling them strings.

  A similiar case that I am involved in right now.....Customer has a S&S 'B'
with moving damage to the case, which I agreed to repair. Customer also has a
Baldwin 7' which has been "refinished" in satin scratched ebony :-)  The
"refinisher" obviously used 'fish eye' killer in copious amounts, with the
concommitant grainy texture to the finish as exacerbated by a very poor
rubbing job.  Customer wants me to "just rub" the Baldwin and make it look
like the S&S 'B'.......all I will agree to is the application of satin wax to
make the appearance more even.........I probably should not do even this as I
think that it will not help very much.....but it is a very nice Baldwin
soundwise <:
Jim Bryant (FL)