jazz tuning, favoring keys not a goal

Ola Andersson o-anders@online.no
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 08:54:46 +0000

Dear Mr Bill Bremmer

Before I wrote this I told somebody on the list about not sending it because I
thought maybe you get angry, and so you did. This person (who is a very very
skilled person) and I (who is a very very little skilled person) have big respect
for you.  Iīve downloaded alot youīve been writing about HT. And I hope I will
learn it some day. You have a big mission, donīt ruin it by being angry and
negative. It looks like you are mixing your personell problems  with  your
profession. It looks like your goal is to have people play on your tunings
instead of you helping people make music trough the instrument. I hope Iīm wrong
though. I always read your letters. Do you have a program that can see if people
delete your letters with out reading them. I think its only in your mind. I
think anybody being on the list spending time reading 50-100 e-mails a day is
intrested in being best professional as possible. I donīt think we can mix people
on the list with slobs we all met.

Theres a lot of different tempers. Iīve been playing double bass with string
orchestra, rockband and different  folkmusic with quarternotes , all with
diffrent strech and temper you never find on any piano.
So why should a jazz pianist stick with historic temperement, his attitude isnīt
a archology (some are), he want  HT as  something to expriment with and maybe
reverse. Maybe he rather makes his own New York/gamelan temperment and ends with
a piano with 35 1/2 keys in a oktav if there is an oktav (like Xennakis ). My
friend an awarded jazzpianist uses slide on grand pianos (not on his own though).

To the others

My  point is

 On a Jazzclub piano with 20 different touring pianist between each tuning it
"have" to be ET. If there is a tuning.

My question is

Why canīt we tune a HT that favors the flat keys?
 Is there a transpose button on SAT III?

For tuners not knowing about improvisation and Jazz I want to mention that a
pianist wants to be free to go every where on the piano when ever he or she wants
it without feeling drown to any point or key because of the sounds of the tuning.

For me playing doublebass I donīt like ET either. I feel itīs out of tune . But
it works!

One more time
Excuse my bad english, Please misunderstand me right

Ola Andersson
Bergen, Norway