jazz tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:25:35 EDT

severanc@mail.wsu.edu writes:

<< In other words, for me, what the temperament
 can add or subtract in comparison to more important elements is
 insignificant in the broader framework of what we are trying to do as
 musicians. It's a non-issue.  Even though I find ET suits my purposes quit
 well I wouldn't refuse to play a piano tuned in an another temperament any
 more than I would refuse to play a grand that had a high gloss finish
 instead of satin. Just personal opinion, nothing more.   (Snip)>>

  David,
Thanks for your response.  I have always maintained that temperament in
itself is only a very small part of the piano's sound.  A few days ago, I
said that a difference in temperament would affect the sound of the piano
more than it would the music.  This is actually in line with what you are
saying.

The kinds of differences I advocate in temperament tuning are like those of
very refined voicing techniques.  They aren't really considered part of what
a technician must know to do professional quality work.  They go beyond that.
 In order to be effective with them, you really have to be able to tune
precisely and with very solid stability.

I'm afraid there are some however who would rather see mediocrity and even
substandard practices be the norm and even prevail.  Those will be the people
that insist that only ET is proper, claim to "know about" all the
alternatives yet are not really capable of producing what they have made
claim to.  They don't want HT's to become a popular practice because it will
mean that they must learn how to do them effectively too.  That would be just
too much to ask.

The only thing I can and will do is continue in the direction I have been
going, try my best to interest those who are capable of setting higher goals
and standards and leave those who are satisfied with things the way they are
behind.

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin