TOUCHWEIGHT

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 16:41:59 -0700 (MST)

Hi Rogerio:

Shimming out the wippen flange can have the effect of making the touch
lighter. There is nothing wrong with doing this within certain limits.
You may in addition need to make the touch deeper or else make the
hammer stroke shorter.

Th more professional way of accomplishing the same thing is to unsolder
and reposition the wippin rails in a Steinway. There is still a lot of
confusion about the spread dimensions of some of the pianos during
transition periods etc. in addition to the changed action parts dimensions.

Jim Coleman, Sr.