jazz tuning... - message to billbrpt

Tue, 06 Apr 1999 13:37:32 -0500

To: : Billbrpt@AOL.COM

You wrote in reply to:
> o-anders@online.no
> Ola Andersson (The Bebop Tuner)
> Bergen, Norway >>

...and my replies are interspersed...

>Certainly, many Jazz performances have occurred with a piano tuned in
Reverse
Well.

*Many on this list (and that 'other' one) would and could make the statement:

------ "Certainly many, many more have occurred(sic) in ET." --------

>If you understood the logic of ... blah, blah, blah.

*This is an arrogant, unkind and unwarranted assumption based on absolutely
no apparent knowledge on your part.  THIS is the type of statement by you
which has elicited a negative response to some of your posts - NOT the
factual explanations of HTs and RWT you have offered.

>I don't see how it would be "cheaper" to tune Reverse Well.

*If you scan your oeuvres on this list, and interpolate only slightly, it
shouldn't be _that_ hard.   Since you seem to feel that most on this list
and _all_ on that other can do no more than tune a poor reVerse well, it
would follow that you must feel that those in that category are also among
the less competent in their respective areas and therefore probably do not
command as large a tuning fee as a certain expert in tuning HTs on PSOs,
n'est-ce pas?

> It is an error that most often goes unrecognized by the tuner, the
performer and the listener but that does not mean that there has been no
adverse effect.

*So if that proverbial tree falls in the forest, only _you_ would hear it,
non?

> Your only understanding and concept is that of an Equally Tempered scale.
 It seems so logical and normal to you that you automatically reject the
notion of anything else.  You see no reason to learn or even try to
understand anything other than what you have already learned and understood
thus far.

*Uff da!!  Again, you have no absolute knowledge of this. You are assuming
abilities and proclivities with no apparent great foreknowledge of Ola.
(Of course, this assumption on _my_ part concerning your personal
acquaintence with Ola is something which you are welcome to dispel - a
short history of your meetings/therapy sessions would do.  Was it a longer
conversation than we had in Providence?)

> The idea that perhaps your knowledge and skills are flawed and that you
may be making an error that you neither understand nor are aware of is
threatening to your
peace of mind.

*We are all in awe of your trans-oceanic psychological diagnosis.
(1-900-WHY-HT?/1-900-NO, NON ET?) - Darn, there _I_ go making another
unfounded assumption. I'm probably the only one in awe. Sorry.

> You can easily find any number of people who will take your side.

*Aha! Finally! A provable postulation!  I call for the vote.

>There is, in fact a whole group of them who quit this List and created
another one just because they believe that a piano should be tuned in ET
and ET only.

*Not true, (I am still here... ) there were other reasons, but don't let
facts get in your way on _my_ account.

>  They also believe that whatever they do is ET, regardless of how many
errors or alterations to it they may make.

*Such a broad, damning (and altogether typical) accusation!  Care to check
my ET sometime?

>They will claim that I am the only person who ever wrote of the Reverse
Well error and therefore, it does not exist.

*ISBN number:chapter:verse...

>If you want to find a large group of people who will instantly be your
friend and who will say that you are right and that I am wrong and
belligerent...

*No one else _need_ say anything.

>There are others who, as soon as they see my screen name or the subject of
HT  tuning, delete my posts automatically without reading them.

*Nah, the humor content is too high to completely ignore.

>  They see the concept of Historical Temperaments as a threat and react
with anger and resentment.

*_Now_ I know why I've been so angry and resentful for the last 25 years
since Owen taught me HTs.  Thank you so much, now I can get on with the
rest of my life.  I feel so much better now.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

"I'm glad you enjoyed the tuning. Now I hope you enjoy the playing more."
- Ravi Shankar