"upright" economics

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:41:46 EDT

 David asks:
>>  Has anybody on the list had success charging
> premium prices for premium and complete
>  work rebuilding uprights for resale?

    I dunno.  How about a Bush and Gertz 52" upright, completely rebuilt, ( I
am talking about new hammers, hammer springs, new graphite in the spring
groove, sticker felt, new pinning, new jack springs,  strings, bridgepins,
dampers, butt leather, key bushing, total wazoo on the pedals, "new
everything that I could and restore everthing else kind of work").
     What I ended up with was a like new piano, but with a rottenstone
polished, glass smooth varnish finish over a bookmatched burl and flame
mahogony case.
     sold for $1,000 in 1976.   I thought we were rich.  That was great
money!  Could I do it today?  No way.  not at 10 times the price.

 Regards,
Ed Foote