jazz tuning, favoring keys not a goal

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:31:03 EDT

o-anders@online.no writes:

<< Mr. Bill Bremmer
 It could also work with reverse well. That would make a nice HT in the key of
 Bb, Ab and Eb (I think). Perfect for Altosaxofon and Bebop and maybe cheaper
 to?  I better stick to ET it will end up in reverse well anyway.

 Ola Andersson (The Bebop Tuner)
 Bergen, Norway >>

Certainly, many Jazz performances have occurred with a piano tuned in Reverse
Well.  If you understood the logic of Cycle of 5ths based temperaments, you
would understand that the goal is not necessarily to "favor" a key for a
particular instrument.  In fact, the harshness or brightness of the keys at
the bottom of the cycle of 5ths may be what enhances the music you enjoy.

I don't see how it would be "cheaper" to tune Reverse Well.  Mistakes are
generally thought of as wasting or costing money, not saving it.  Reverse
Well is the wrong way to tune a piano because it causes the tonality or
"color" of virtually all music to be misinterpreted.  It is an error that
most often goes unrecognized by the tuner, the performer and the listener but
that does not mean that there has been no adverse effect.  There are many
other examples of substandard conditions and workmanship that go unrecognized
and uncorrected.

The point of learning to tune an HT even if you prefer or intend to keep
tuning ET is that it will insure that you will recognize and avoid the
Reverse Well error.  I see in your argument the same resentment I see from
many others.  Your only understanding and concept is that of an Equally
Tempered scale.  It seems so logical and normal to you that you automatically
reject the notion of anything else.  You see no reason to learn or even try
to understand anything other than what you have already learned and
understood thus far.

Yet, you have a theory that if you could alter the scale in a certain way, it
might make the music sound better.  If you have such a theory, you should be
willing to test it to prove whether it is right or wrong yet you are afraid
to do so.  You therefore cling to the only understanding you have.  The idea
that perhaps your knowledge and skills are flawed and that you may be making
an error that you neither understand nor are aware of is threatening to your
peace of mind.

The answer is to learn more, not reject ideas that are outside of your
experience and understanding.  You can easily find any number of people who
will take your side.  There is, in fact a whole group of them who quit this
List and created another one just because they believe that a piano should be
tuned in ET and ET only.  They also believe that whatever they do is ET,
regardless of how many errors or alterations to it they may make.  They will
claim that I am the only person who ever wrote of the Reverse Well error and
therefore, it does not exist.  If you want to find a large group of people
who will instantly be your friend and who will say that you are right and
that I am wrong and belligerent, join the MPT Talklist.  (I don't know how to
join that List but I'm sure there will be someone who will be happy to tell
you).

There are others who, as soon as they see my screen name or the subject of HT
tuning, delete my posts automatically without reading them.  They see the
concept of Historical Temperaments as a threat and react with anger and
resentment.  This, however, does not discourage me.  I see it only as foolish
behavior, contrary to their own self interest.  It is as ridiculous as the
behavior of an ostrich, a very large bird who apparently believes it cannot
be seen by its pursuer when it hides only its head in the sand.

Sincerely,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin