Wooden sticker "buttons"

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 20:52:24 -0400

One final go on this. Late today I had a hardware store "attack". It
happens. Although I went for something else, I thought I'd try the plain
packaging tape. A nice young lady (first time I've seen one of those
working in a hardware store) offered to help. They only had pre-licked, and
the young lady was -too- young to have ever seen the old-fashioned kind.
That's okay -- _her_ children will likely never experience licking postage
stamps.

Next stops, various 'Mart' suffixes - 'K' and 'Wal' specifically. Nothing.
Went to Office Max, did my own search first to no avail, then found either
the oldest person in the store, or else he'd lived a hard life. He led me
directly to what I had already found -- pre-licked. He then said, "I can't
remember the last time I saw that kind of tape". At least he knew what I
was talking about.

Apparently, the tape "guns" with the wide clear cellophane tape has taken
over in popularity from the old shipping department machines (with the
slot-machine lever, a nasty wetting brush and a water bottle). Speaking of
growing things!

I believe the next generation of flange travellers will need to find a
substitute for old-timey brown tape. Meanwhile, we'll have to order from
David Ilvedson, Newton, or the Internet.

At 09:38 AM 4/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> You can get brown packaging tape at Walmart type stores,
>> office supply stores etc.  I have a lifetime supply...
>>

>Don't bet on it.  Old timey type stuff is getting harder and harder to
>get.  It is still made but an industrial supply company is the only
>one likely to have it in stock.  Look around.
>
>Use a search engine and look for 'packaging tape'.  Half will not list
>'water activated' tape.
>
>		Newton

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.