jazz tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 19:42:22 EDT

In a message dated 4/5/99 6:28:34 PM Central Daylight Time, atodd@UH.EDU
writes:

<< Not just a theory, actually. The Count Basie Orchestra recently played
 here in our Opera Hall and the pianist was just ecstatic over getting to
 play on a piano in such good condition. And it isn't just me, by any means.
 He told the opera house manager that it was unbelievable the condition of
 most of the pianos he had to play on. And THAT'S a pianist with a big name
 group! Just think what the others have to play on. >>

Now, how could all of these poorly kept and tuned pianos all still be in ET
as so many seem to just believe (and with the faith you'd expect from a
cloistered nun)?  I don't believe it and haven't for over a decade.   If you
do believe it, I have a bridge that goes from Brooklyn to Manhatten that I'd
like to sell you or trade for a vintage Strobe Tuner.

If we're going to play Jazz, wouldn't it just *have* to be ET?  (So you could
modulate and play in *all* the keys?)

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin