"upright" economics

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 12:23:42 -0700

As the list knows, many uprights get
partially rebuild/ refurbished due to economics.
Proper soundboard, pinblock, complete action
work including shanks, pinning, butt leather......rare.
Very uncommon is a upright with refinished
plate, body, and "complete" rebuild on a store floor.

The Canadian price would have to be
$5000 -- $8000 , for what I have in mind.
The market seems to bear only $1500--$2000 MAX. for
any old upright regardless any amount of work-parts.

SO----- QUESTION

Has anybody on the list had success charging
premium prices for premium and complete
work rebuilding uprights for resale?(Rebuilding
Grandma's piano is separate issue)
Has anyone found a  market/ people willing to pay
for such rebuilt-resale pianos,
when a variety of new instruments can be
purchased in this price range. Or am I correct
assuming this is universally uneconomical.

                                 Cheers
                                 David Renaud
                                 RPT