Hide Glue

Bill Kidd bkidd@tilc.com
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 23:19:36 -0700

Hite, Bob wrote:

> When I'm finished using hide glue, I disolve a little urea in the remaining
> hot glue and then suck some into a small plastic squeeze bottle and keep it
> in the refridgerator.  Then when I want to use just a little for a small
> repair, I simply warm it in hot tap water.
> An old Elmers glue squeeze bottle works good.  My nine year old daughter
> has discovered it and uses it more than I do.
>
> Bob Hite
> Lansing, Mi.I must have deleted the original post of a few days ago regarding hide
glue.  I wanted to tell the list how we make and use hide glue in
Mississippi.  We use baby food jars and one of those coffee cup warmer
hot plates to keep my glue warm while working with it.  Sometimes I find
that I need to reuse the glue and it has gotten cold, so I zap it in the
microwave for 10 to 20 seconds, depending on how cold the glue has gotten
and the quantity in the jar.

If I am making hide glue from scratch and am in a hurry I put in the
granules and cover it with cold water.  I microwave it for 10 seconds and
stir.  Another 10 seconds and stir and it is ready to use within a
minute. I have used urea, also salt to slow the drying time, but no
longer, I like the way it works without additaves. Even if I had a $100
glue pot, I would still mix the glue in a jar and perhaps use the glue
pot as a hot water jacket for the jar.  That way I could still microwave
the jar for quick use.

If I need to apply precise amounts, and if in close areas like tacking
loose jacks I suck up some very hot glue in a glue injector I then have
the equivalent of an elmers glue bottle, but filled with hide glue.  By
the way I have no reservations using hide glue that was mixed up days or
even weeks ago unless it has the green stuff on it. The wooden craft
sticks of "popcycle sticks" make great stirring sticks.  I glue two
together to make a longer stick.  Forgive me is someone has already
covered this same area.
Bill