Billing for your time...was Re: Insurance confusion

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 01:43:16 -0700

> If the 'piano' turns out to be a keyboard, it might have been possible
> to determine this beforehand with a few questions.  If the answers
> didn't reveal it's true nature, then at least you tried to get
> information and are covered.<<<<<<

Yes..... more questions could have been asked.But when the reply to "what type of
piano is it".... is Yamaha,
the thought of a Clavinova keyboard never crossed our mines.

> The travel time issue is even more interesting.  You did not spend three
> hours evaluating and/or servicing the instrument.  My question is, was
> this an'emergency' appointment, that is, was it necessary to see the
> piano right away as a special appointment rather than fit it into a full
> day's worth of work the next time you were in the neighborhood?

It was scheduled reasonably , drop in after a tuningbut due to a cancellation on
one days
notice,  was no longer going to that end of town.

> <<<The basic minimum service charge for
> most service professions just to walk in the door of a suburban
> neighborhood is the equivalent of a half hour of your time. <<<

I was planing on my min. service charge, never considered three
hours of my time for the total of two trips.
The point of the question was should I charge anything, since I
could not do a proper evaluation of the electronics, and I could
have asked more questions.

Therein lies the lesson.......... asking more questions.

1.5 hr. could have been saved my knowing about the lock box.
The other 1.5hrs was almost useless since I never knew it
was only a keyboard.  My basic service charge for going that
far out of town is $50, in town $35. I just feel the client did
not get anything, but that is partially their responsibility by
partially answering what type of piano is it.

                                                           Dave Renaud
                                                           RPT