CA glue

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 19:20:06 -0500

>I picked up some "Insta-Cure™ super thin 1-3 sec." CA glue at a local
>hobby shop. The owner said the manufacturer was a Bob Smith. The glue
>contains cyanoacrylate ester. "Full strength is reached in 1 hour.
>Replace cap after use for best shelf life." Would anyone know if this is
>suitable for bridge repair? I'm guessing it's the "good" kind, without
>preservatives. TIA!
>
>In the _bond_ of love,
>
>Dan Eumurian, RPT
>hope4you@centuryinter.net

It depends on the nature of the repair. If you're dealing with loose bridge
pins, but no visible damage to the  bridge, thin or superthin CA would be
appropriate. This is also the kind to use for pinblock treatment.
I have used the medium viscosity CA for bridge repairs; the high viscosity
may also be appropriate, depending on how much gap filling will be needed.
Epoxy is also a very appropriate (probably superior) adhesive/filler for
bridge repair. I recall some articles in the PTJ by Spurlock, and more
recently by Susan Klein, outlined good epoxy procedures.

Patrick Draine, RPT
Billerica, MA