Jazz tuning style?

Ola Andersson o-anders@online.no
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 10:30:58 +0000

Hallo list, I love you, Thanks for all advice. I think I have something to
contribute here so I take big breath and ...

... As a jazzmusician and consertarranger I believe ET is prefered by a
touring Jazzpianist.  My interest into this proffesion started by me getting
bored of jazzpianist never knowing what kind of piano they are getting and
rather playing digital. For me playing gutstring doublebass, playing with a
digital piano is hopeless. So for the health of the touring jazzpianist give
him a ET on the jazzclubpianos. But in Norway he would be happy if the piano
is tuned at all.

This is a question to HT freaks.
If you want to give him a HT on his own or his recording piano could you
center the Bb note in stead of C? What I try to say is can you build it
around Bb so the D and A-major gets poorer and the Ab and Db-major  gets
better. That would mix better with a trompet and saxofon wouldnŽt it? and
the chance for having the pianist reacting against it is less. I suppose
this is against all conventions but why not?

We must ask ourself how many keys is  the pianist playing in. A traditional
standardjazz Bb-centered pianist, playing the 20ths to 50ths jazzstyle Bach
harmonys, is perhaps less unhappy with a HT than a modern (contemporary)
pianist playing chords seeking away from the ground note (away from the key
or not wanting a key) like free jazz. HeŽd rather not feel the dominant
chords at all and wants the ET to have the notes independent of a ground
note.

My english is poor so please misunderstand me right.

Ola Andersson
Bergen, Norway
Edvard Grieg is my neighbour watch his sight
http://bergen.by.com/museum/troldhaugen/index2.html