Dampp-Chaser - Hi Deb!

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 20:11:51 -0500

Hi Deb,

Good to see you here.

You'll be interested...  on Fri. pm., I was sent to a customer who had
been reported to have a Samick studio that wouldn't hold it's tune.  I
got strict instructions to take along the hygrometer and measure the
humidity levels.  "Their house is probably way too dry."  I thought it
was interesting that the level on the meter was at 43% when I left.
Incidentally, the tuning pins were fine and it tuned quite nicely.  It
was a 'sluggish action' the lady was complaining about, and all that
turned out to be was tight front key bushings, and the muffler bar down
far enough in the up position that the hammers "caught" on it during
their travel.

I'd be curious about what kinds of levels are prevalent throughout the
seasons in some of these homes that have the air conditioning on in the
summer and the humidifier running in the winter.  If they really do keep
a relatively steady relative humidity somewhere near 40-45%, then I
would think that kind of environment would actually be better for a
piano than a relatively unsteady environment with a complete humidity
control system, and in all honesty, I can't see a point in installing a
humidity control system that will never be used!

Interesting discussion.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

See ya,

Brian Trout