Hide Glue

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 17:35:51 -0600 (CST)

At 06:32 PM 4/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>I seem to recollect, that when making hide glue, the granules should be
>left overnight with just enough water to cover them.
>What is the rational, behind this?  If you heat the stuff up
>immediately, it combines, and looks like, hide glue should.
>Just wondering.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross

I've heard the same thing. Maybe it affects the flavor, like chili, which is
better the second day. In any case, I have mixed, heated, and used it as
soon as it looked like glue for years without any problems that I'm aware
of. If what you're doing is wrong, then I'm messing up too. Perhaps our glue
joints are only forty times stronger then the wood, instead of forty five
times. Now you've got me wondering.
 Ron