jazz tuning

Sat, 3 Apr 1999 07:08:12 -0500

Thanks to all who weighed in on what may constitute a "jazz tuning".  I
had certainly decided that with all the key modulation and extended
chords and rich coloring inherent in jazz playing, ET was a choice that
surely would not disappoint most players.  It's hard to argue with
David's wish list of solid unisons, clean octaves, and a well-executed
ET, eh?

While it's true that I too have noticed in some jazz recordings, more so
than in classical ones, that somebody neglected to have the piano tuned,
I certainly wouldn't deduce that any player would actually PREFER it that
way!  I wonder if perhaps an acceptance of the piano's condition, however
poor that may be, might not creep into the psyche of the inveterate jazz
player due to the multitude of poorly attended pianos one may play in the
course of so much club work.  If playing a slightly out of tune piano
drove you nuts, playing jazz for a living MIGHT not be a healthy career
path!  Just a theory....

One other thing that occurred to me is that the differences between the
three tunings offered by this technician - Jazz, Classical, Pop - might
actually be in name only, in an effort to make the customer feel like
they are getting a customized tuning.  A devious thought, to be sure, but
an idle mind......

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com