Euro-style aftertouch

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@roadrunner.com
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 13:28:03 -0700

Jim,

At 01:29 PM 4/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>
>In some Euro pianos, I'm aware of what could be considered "minimal
>aftertouch".
>I have the following questions:
>Anyone with more experience with old Ibachs?

Yes, a couple of regulars. A poorly restored (from H2O damage) 6'6", and a
1920ish 6' with individual tied strings and a very nice action. Hard to
judge ANYthing on the bigger one, but on the other aftertouch is present,
but not "deep". Different bore on better hammers would make it possible to
get a little better (more) safety factor, but it does ok with slightly late
drop and borderline "cheaters" with hard/fast strike. Did I mention it
needs knuckles?

>Do they (originally) qualify for the 'minimum' aftertouch phenomenon?

Hard to tell. Only other old ones I've seen were unique cabinets, and the
key height may not have been "factory". The water damaged one is pretty
standard, spec-wise, but everything was messed with, and it's very uneven.
Uses up the customer's budget just to keep it at pitch, so there's been no
attempt at un-fixing the problems.

>Are new keyframe cloth/felts going to help a little/lot/none?

Uh.... ask again after you've seen 'em?

>Will I have room to play with key height/dip parameters (keyslip, f/b,
>cheekblocks)?

The 6' er that I know has lotsa forgiveness.

>On a related matter, same piano. I last played a -new- Ibach about 18
>months ago. Since I only played it for about 20 seconds, I don't remember
>the touch, because it was strident enough to break glass, and it hurt my
>ears! Speaking of strident...

Yeah, I thought the new ones were Asian mfg.

> However, assuming crown, bearing are okay (which I don't
>know), what -should- I expect as a "signature" sound for this instrument?

The 6' er is a sweety with the guts to get rowdy. Again, new hams and
knuckles would help.
The bigger one is just plain rowdy. I think the replacement hamms were
2nd-hand S&S , drowned in laq.

>unacceptable to the player (although she didn't know why).

What kind of playing does she do? By the time you try to file "shot" hamms,
and then raise the line to bring the blow into a decent ballpark, you may
have aftertouch out the yinyang. Might have to tilt the stack!
Have fun anyway.

Guy Nichols RPT

"I leave you as I found you -- only some time later."
                                -- John Lennon