Euro-style aftertouch

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 13:29:52 -0500

List,

In some Euro pianos, I'm aware of what could be considered "minimal
aftertouch". Some may be inclined to say none. My first experience was long
ago with an old Bechstein grand (leather key bushings maybe?). I'm now
faced with an old Ibach that brings back memories of that Bechstein. I've
been asked to do _something_ with the piano. Considering it was built in
1913... well, let's just say my initial suggestion wasn't accepted very
well ! %-}

When I tested the piano from a pianist's standpoint, it was like playing
the end of a kitchen table. There was no tactile feedback to the player as
to where the bottom of key travel actually was. I didn't have time do pull
the action to check or measure anything. However, from a technical
standpoint, I have the following questions:

Anyone with more experience with old Ibachs?
Do they (originally) qualify for the 'minimum' aftertouch phenomenon?
Are new keyframe cloth/felts going to help a little/lot/none?
Will I have room to play with key height/dip parameters (keyslip, f/b,
cheekblocks)?

On a related matter, same piano. I last played a -new- Ibach about 18
months ago. Since I only played it for about 20 seconds, I don't remember
the touch, because it was strident enough to break glass, and it hurt my
ears! Speaking of strident...

This old one is just the opposite... no power, gutless wonder. If -real-
cotton balls were ever used to make piano hammers, this is the one. The
hammers are shot, are being considered for replacement, and are really not
good indicators. I plan to do a few samples with new token hammers to get a
better feel. However, assuming crown, bearing are okay (which I don't
know), what -should- I expect as a "signature" sound for this instrument? A
pluck test tells me there's more than is being provided by cot... um,
hammers, but that I might not expect more than a warm, cushy, Knabe-ish
sound on completion of work. If so, I can live with it, but I'd like some
input from those who have dealt with the brand and the era.

unacceptable to the player (although she didn't know why). I'm _not_ trying
to make the piano into something it was never intended to be in terms of
power or dynamics.

TIA,

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC