How sweet THE sound (OT)

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:29:10 -0500

At 12:48 AM -0500 4/2/99, harvey wrote:
>As you may recall, we used to give pet names to sounds and/or studios.
>Setting precedent for this was no doubt the "Nashville Sound", as in Chet,
>Floyd, and even the original Oak Ridge Boys before they sold out like
>Quincy Jones. I digress. There was Memphis, Detroit, Muscle Shoals, and
>others that I don't remember. For the musicians, it seemed the "in"
>sound/site/studio was anyplace other than where they were currently situated.

Let's not overlook the Hoboken Sound, the Steinway B in Rudy van Gelder's
studio across the river from NYC, where several decades of jazz history was
recorded. That piano never clanged but always had a solid-to-the-core sound.

But I digress.

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"taken beyond the proper balance ('power and musical tone'). additional
power comes always at the expense tone quality, a sacrifice no designer or
piano technician should ever willingly make."
    Dell Fandrich, on priorities in the design of console pianos in  the
'Piano Technicians Journal' (4/98)