kamakazi kawai

Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:37:52 -0800

Ned Robie wrote:

> 1. If this happened to your piano, what would you do?
> (Humor is ok, my wife and I could use a good laugh right now.)

I'm not sure.  I'm normally pretty laid back about inanimate objects -- I mostly
consider people to be of more value.  Most people, anyway.  But it's possible to
get pretty attached to one's piano.  Especially since they tend to cost more
than your average toaster.  I guess I'd be willing to give the mover/dealer a
chance to make it all right.  But I'm not sure I'd be willing to take his word
for the extent of the damage, if any.

> 2. In your expert opinion, assuming there are no detectable
> problems with the action, plate, soundboard, playability (or
> whatever the technical terms may be for how it plays/sounds)
> or other attributes, would you accept it or would you demand
> another piano of comparable quality (before it was dropped,
> obviously)?

I'd want to know a bit more about how the action 'slipped.'  I've taken care of
pianos that were dropped hard enough to break their cast iron plates, but with
actions that still worked well.  I'd also want to know how much it was knocked
out of tune and why.  I can't really think of any reason that the piano would be
extensively out of tune unless something shifted.  That something would probably
be the plate. And if that happened, I'd want to know how much.  That might also
account for the action needing to be 'adjusted.'  It's not likely that there was
any damage to the soundboard or bridges.  If you are able to obtain satisfactory
answers to these questions, then the damage may be mostly cosmetic and you don't
need to worry too much.

> 3. Do you have any other advice or suggestions (other than
> not using these people again to move my piano)?

I'd continue to look for an independent technician -- preferably one with some
rebuilding experience -- who can examine the piano for you with the above in
mind.  If I were examining this piano I'd want to know about the location of the
plate and the condition of the plate screws and bolts.  The wood used in the
rims of these pianos is not overly hard and the plate bolts could easily have
given a bit.  None of this is necessarily catastrophic, but I'd sure want to
have it checked over carefully.  Whatever else you do, don't sign anything until
you're satisfied that there really isn't any hidden damage and then insist on a
longer term warranty to cover any possible hidden damage.  Five years seems
about right.  At least that is what I would offer if it were my movers who
dropped it.

> 4. My son is coming home from music school for the holidays and
> we'd like to have something he can use for practice. If we don't
> have our own piano by then, do you think it's fair to ask that
> we be provided one of comparable quality until this is resolved?

Yes, it's fair to ask, but you may not be able to get one.  Depends on the size
of the dealer/shop and whether or not a piano is available.  Stuff happens.
Even if the movers were competent and trying their best.  I'm perhaps a bit more
sympathetic toward the movers right now.  For the first time in my career --
something over thirty years -- our movers came close, VERY close, to dropping a
piano.  It didn't happen, but the margin was much closer that I ever want to see
again.