First spinet piano

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:46:59 -0600

>Friends:
>
>Here's a little information from "The Music Trades" magazine, September
>1998, p. 80 (not a direct quote):  The tiny Haddorf Piano Company showed
>the first 36" spinet with a drop action at the 1935 NAMM show...
>
>Clyde Hollinger

Unfortunately, Clyde, that information does not constitute the first
spinet.  It might have been Haddorf's first spinet, and likewise Winter
indicates it made its first spinet in 1935.

The reason I know this is because I have serviced the following:

1) Elburn Spinet, #41640, 1920
2) Acrosonic by Baldwin, #146410, 1922
         (unable to verify this serial #)
3) Remington by Starr, #219316, 1933

and numerous other makers of spinets in the 30s' all with drop lifter style
actions.

Cable-Nelson
Wurlitzer
Story & Clark
Gulbransen
Lester
Hallet-Davis

My understanding of the criteria for a spinet piano is 39" or less in
height from the floor and having a drop lifter style action.

Does anyone have earlier than 1920 on their dBase?

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731