alternatives for soundboards

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:07:01 +0100

>André,
>
>Of course I have some comments . . . .

Of course Del, most welcome!

>I'll cheerfully avoid the comparison between stringed instruments such as the
>violin, cello, bass, etc., and the piano.  The principles of operation are so
>different that no reasonable comparison can be made.  However...

OK..I listen

>Having designed laminated soundboards and built pianos using them that perform
>equally as well as -- indeed, in some cases better than -- their counterparts
>using 'solid' spruce boards, I have to take exception to this belief.
>
>Just as not all 'solid' spruce soundboards are equal, neither are all laminated
>soundboards.  Notice that I make a distinction between 'plywood' soundboards and
>'laminated' soundboards.  In the early days of laminated soundboards, the
>material was indeed simply 'plywood.'  No thought was given to the varying
>densities of the material or to the very different -- and controllable --
>stiffness parameters of the material.  One factory using basically a
>compression-crown process intermingled both solid spruce boards and laminated
>boards on the same assembly line, using the same ribs and rib presses, and
>couldn't figure out why the pianos with the laminated boards didn't have any
>crown.  Of course these pianos sounded bad.  As have most other pianos using ill
>conceived laminated soundboards.  If the goal is simply to save money, and the
>design time is not invested to make the most of the material, you are right.
>They will not sound good.
>
>However, if care is taken during the design process to properly select the right
>materials and then to manipulate and utilize the beneficial characteristics of
>the laminating process, the results are outstanding.
>
>I remain convinced that the best sounding pianos have yet to be built and that
>many of them will be built with laminated soundboards.

I would very much like to hear one of your laminated products, maybe some
time in the future you will allow me to come and visit you?

>> I think that it will not be possible to find a substitute for the wonderful
>> spruce, but I do think that it will be worth the effort to find something
>> "else", just for the sake of our dying woods.
>>
>> In any case, I am also convinced that the answer is not "plastic". I think the
>> answer lies in "living" materiels, not dead ones.

Just my feeling, and again.. I am open to other inventions and improvements,
but I do not believe in dead materiels being able to compete with our
magnificent Steinway soundboard.

At the same time I would like to say that although I am not a "tree hugger",
I wish more people would have some respect for our last forests, In Europe
there are no real forests anymore..point..period...exit.

>Of course a 'crystal soundboard' is going to sound different than a wood
>soundboard.  He should have known better.  Perhaps he did.  Was he actually
>trying to market the boards as a direct substitute for wood?  Or was it intended
>to be a completely different instrument.

As far as I know, he wanted to invent a substitute for wooden soundboards.
So he had a factory make a "crystal" soundboard with a crown and no ribs.
The sound was very poor....

  And I still maintain that in the end, laminated soundboards are going
>to be proven to be inherently superior.

I am glad! that would be great, and I am waiting.....

>André, I always appreciate reading your thoughts on whatever subject.  Even if I
>do disagree with them from time to time...

That is the nice thing about a forum like this...we can discuss these
matters and have respect for each others way of thinking.

Friendly greetings from,
Antares