alternative pianos (was alt.soundboards.materials)

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:10:16 -0500

At 11:39 AM 11/30/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>...I would like to know........Who first designed the spinet piano? I
>>would like
>>to take that person behind the barn and whip the devil out of him. Those
>>things are awful........but still are being built...
>>
>>Just musing :)
>>Andy Taylor
>
>I would like to know as well, Andy, but not to scold them, but to convey my
>sincere thanks for all those wonderful income producing pianos over the
>years and challenging instruments to regulate, repair, tune, buy, sell,
>etc..
>
>Even now, I have a 1937 Story & Clark spinet that the wife and I have
>stripped and refinished with Watco oil (gorgeous grain design) and brought
>back to a playing condition.  Picked it up for next to nothing.  Straight
>strung.  Ivories.  Really unique.  It's been fun resurrecting this piano.
>Someone is going to love it having it.  Not big on sound, but totally it's
>own thing.
>
>Just musing on Andy's musings,
>
>Keith McGavern

Kerith,
I have something similar:
3'9" Grinnell Bros., 73 note, ex-Recordo player grand.

No much in the bass but an interesting little space filler.

It'll be ready to fit under someone's tree in a few weeks.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)