alternatives for soundboards

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:39:00 -0600

>...I would like to know........Who first designed the spinet piano? I
>would like
>to take that person behind the barn and whip the devil out of him. Those
>things are awful........but still are being built...
>
>Just musing :)
>Andy Taylor

I would like to know as well, Andy, but not to scold them, but to convey my
sincere thanks for all those wonderful income producing pianos over the
years and challenging instruments to regulate, repair, tune, buy, sell,
etc..

Even now, I have a 1937 Story & Clark spinet that the wife and I have
stripped and refinished with Watco oil (gorgeous grain design) and brought
back to a playing condition.  Picked it up for next to nothing.  Straight
strung.  Ivories.  Really unique.  It's been fun resurrecting this piano.
Someone is going to love it having it.  Not big on sound, but totally it's
own thing.

Just musing on Andy's musings,

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild
USA

BTW: Does anyone have some historical data about who really did design the
first spinet and would you share that information if you do?