alternatives for soundboards

AndyTTaylr@AOL.COM AndyTTaylr@AOL.COM
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:10:32 EST

Hi
I didn't suggest replacing spruce soundboards to "save the trees"....Im not
one of THOSE nutty tree huggers, It is just the fact that IMHO, piano design
as been about the same for 80 years and the builders has become rather
stagnant.

But with all these new synthetics today, some may be great to use in today's
pianos. Think about it.....No more cracked soundboards, No more pitch changes
due to humidity. the crown is 'molded' in the soundboard at the factory and
can be controlled.

The keyboard people have taken many sales from piano people. I haven't seen a
keyboard built yet that would match the charm, tone or power of a REAL piano,
not even close!

A friend of mine who runs a music store told me that often the deciding factor
in choosing a keyboard VS an acoustic piano is that the acoustic requires much
maintenance than the keyboard, IMO, the keyboard won't last 80+ years either
like a good piano will.

I would like to know........Who first designed the spinet piano? I would like
to take that person behind the barn and whip the devil out of him. Those
things are awful........but still are being built.

The public are being hoodwinked...........I have often bought good upright
pianos that the stores get in on a trade. It is a shame too......The old
upright piano they traded in was far better than the new one they just bought!

But still, Against an increasing threat by the keyboard people, The piano
builders should go back to the drafting board and design something that sounds
great, That is stable, Will last a long time,  And be competitive in the
market.

Just musing :)
Andy Taylor