Restoring Old Instruments

John Dewey jdent@soltec.net
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 09:18:06 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: james turner <JTTUNER@webtv.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Monday, November 30, 1998 2:05 AM
Subject: Restoring Old Instruments

I would appreciate the advise of PTG members on the proper way to
restore old and antique musicial instruments.  Does the  PTG believe
that all old musicial instruments should be restored 100% originial as
they were made in the factory?  Or is it proper to "alter" the originial
design of a old instrument?

The piano rebuilder I apprenticed under over 25 years ago said "rule 1. ‘The
customer is always right'.  Rule 2. through 10. ‘See rule 1' ".

If the customer is a collector wants a restoration I stay as close to
original as possible. If the customer wants the instrument to use (have the
neighbors over, have a few beers, and gather around and all sing off key)
then I have no problem changing things and using better material if it will
make the instrument play better. I take care to explain the difference to
the customer. Since the restoration is usually more difficult and time
consuming I charge more for this.

I have never had cause to look but wonder if anyone makes steel wound bass
strings? Would anyone restore a piano with plastic flanges and have custom
made flanges made of the type of plastic that we now know doesn't last.?
Does the leather tanning industry still use exactly the same chemicals they
used 75 years ago?

Bottom line. Do the best you can to satisfy the customer and don't worry
about the rest. If they want the instrument preserved let them buy it and
then they will be the customer.

John Dewey