getting accustomed to a new sound. was Re: lexan or plexiglass for soundboards?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:24:39 EST

<< >I don't see any reason that a light weight synthetic material with a high
 >strength/weight ratio, and a high elastic rebound rate wouldn't work in
 >soundboards if it were set up right... >>

Here is a different idea that I want to voice on this subject of "artificial"
soundboard material.

We all say we like the sound produced by spuce soundboards. There are techs
that say they can hear the difference between a solid spruce and a laminated
board. My contention is that there is more to the sound of a piano than the
soundboard. Those pianos that have laminated soundboard also have different
scaling, different quality of hammers, partical board sides etc. I have heard
that a manufacturer of a high quality piano put piano with a laminated
soundboard next to a piano with a solid spruce soundboard, and asked a pianist
to tell the difference. The pianist could not.

So I think there is more to this soundboard thing than just the quality of the
material.
Not only that but we have developed a different taste for what sounds good or
"bad" over the years. So changes in what we like in sound will develop. If,
and when, we ever run out of spruce, and other wood materials are not
acceptable to us, I think the next step in this evolution is for the industry
to develop an artificial board, the sound of which we will have to get
accustomed.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

Wim Blees