Standard Pitch

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 19:42:07 -0700

james turner wrote:

> Can someone tell me a little of the history about when A-440 was made
> standard pitch?  Who decided this and what went on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Turner

Jim, from the Hahvahd Dictionary of Music:
"The present-day standard of pitch is a' = 440 (double) vibrations
(cycles) per second. This standard was universally adopted in 1939 by an
international conference held in London under the auspices of the
International Standards Association. It replaced the old standard of 435
that had been fixed by the Paris Academy in 1859 (diapason normal) and
confirmed, under the term "international pitch," at a conference held in
Vienna in 1885."

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT