Pricing fixing

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 17:17:43 -0800

List:
	I read a Time magazine article over the weekend about Bill Gates'
latest legal battle with the FTC.  The article mentioned that e-mail
messages from Microsoft executives became evidence that they had engaged
in violation of antitrust laws.  It was pointed out in the article that
e-mail messages exist in many places besides one's own computer.  Copies
are, of course, in the servers that we get our mail from.  But backup
copies are also made, etc.  Whatever we post on this or any list could
be used as evidence in a case against us.  Even if what we say doesn't
violate the spirit of the law, I personally would not want to have to
defend myself from the FTC.
	I know what others charge here in San Diego.  I have to adjust my
prices according to the territory, my ability, and what I feel I am
justified to charge.  What the exact charges will be is my own business,
my own choice.  I am responsible for the result, no one else has to
answer for it.  Other than for curiousity sake, I don't care what others
charge elsewhere.  My fee for my work is what I feel is fair, and if
sosmeone else wants to charge more, let him do it.  I have worked at a
local piano dealer here for about 10 years.  My co-worker, who has more
experience, makes "X".  I don't even know how much "X" is.  I don't care
to know, because whatever it is he deserves.  Why should I be envious of
him?  He's a damn good tech, so he earns every penny as far as I'm
concerned.  Bottom line is, everyone has to live his own life, make his
own decisions, and live with the result.  Discussion of dollar amounts
has no place in a discussion group like ours, lest we get nailed.  Let's
just keep it a secret.

	Regards,
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego