"International Correspondent", was Re: Hello, pitch raising, etc.

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 18:05:08 -0500

>Dear Newton, thanks. Where are details on the Guild to be found, how
>practical is it to set a South African Chapter of an American organization?
>Brian
>----------
Dear Brian and other non-North American technicians:
General information about the Piano Technicians Guild can be found at the
web site www.ptg.org.

As a member of the PTG's International Relations Committee, I welcome this
opportunity to tell you that while the "standard membership" categories are
available only in Canada, Mexico, and the United States, piano technicians
from other parts of the world may join as "International Correspondents".
Application should be made through the Home Office (consult the web page
for addresses etc), and will be approved by the International Relations
Committee (Randy Potter is the chairman, but I'll be happy to expedite your
application).
International Correspondents pay only 60% of regular membership dues
(regular members pay $147.00 for 1999 dues, plus applicable local chapter
dues), i.e. $88.20 USD. For this you receive the Piano Technicians Journal
(approx. 60 pages) monthly, and discounts for PTG institutes and functions.
If you move within our normal jursidiction your status ceases, and you are
encouraged to join as a regular member, initially as an Associate Member,
and then upon successful completion of written, technical (bench), and
tuning examinations, upgrade to Registered Piano Technician.
Occasionally folks from other countries take the test when living in or
visiting the US. Several graduates of the North Bennett Street School
remain Boston Chapter members, while now residiing in their native lands.
I believe Ian Burgess-Simpson joined and completed his examinations while
on a visit to the states to see what the "state of the art" is in the
States. So there's a Boston Chapter member living and working in Capetown
right now!
Please send private e-mail to me (or the Home Office) if you would like
further information.

Happy Thanksgiving to the rest of the US folks;
I hope the late Spring in South Africa is as nice as it is wet and dreary
here in New England;
Best wishes,
Patrick Draine 	(draine@mediaone.net)
93 Cook Street