Pitch Anticipation

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:59:21 -0500

At 08:23 AM 11/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Tune practice room pianos to A-440.
>
>I used to make minor changes to A-440 and when I did, the key factor in
>following the pitch with seasonal changes was the bass section.  If the
>bass doesn't change much, I can't see raising it sharp in the summer to
>follow the dramatic rise in humid summer conditions or lowering it in
>the winter becasue they've got the heat cranked way up.  While pin
>torque may be compromised with excessive corrections, dry heat is more
>likely the cause, and isn't it likely that loose pins will show up in
>the bass first?
>
>Carl Root, RPT

Most of the basses have been repinned with 6's and sprinkled with 7's.

The bass and treble tuning doesn't change as much as the tenor from
seasonal changes, so I will lower the tenor slightly so as not to cause the
extremes to have to be lowered come Winter. And I do not change the
tension so much which would necessitate another tuning.
But it is still maybe 4 beats sharp and settles down over the months.

For the average setting, a tension change of a few beats will still produce
an appreciable tuning. I would draw the line at 4 beats per second.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
Thanks go to Michael Wathen for placing the keypress on the Wapin site
http://www.wapin.com/clips/page.htm