Tuning Rates are subjective on this list.

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:51:34 PST

Good point here (below).  Local plumbers get $40 dollars just to show up
at the door.  It's ridiculous around Glenwood because the average
plant-shift worker only makes $8.00 per hour. I'm not saying that
plumbers  shouldn't get paid for their work, but they are currently
overpaid in our county.

As far as tuning goes, there are many times I feel I deserve $75 dollars
for the amount of work involved with jobs.  However, I'm in a position
of risk.  I'm the only piano tuner in an area of 10,000 people and I
travel quite a bit for the out-of-town jobs.  If I start charging more,
people will start calling the other tuner who lives only 15 miles  away.
He's an RPT and charges $50 dollars also.
The bottom line is there is competition and living in a small town of
hard-working families I can't simply charge a whole lot more than the
other guy, especially because he's been around the area longer and is
very well known.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jay