Pitch Anticipation

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:49:47 -0500

At 08:36 AM 11/26/98 EST, you wrote:
>Jon writes:
>>Even now with the school I service I will tune them (hang on to your hats)
>>as much as six beats sharp (September).
>
> Frantically looking for my hat..........
>Greetings,
>    This is a quarter-step off pitch, ( assuming 440 is still normal).  I
will
>make the assumption that at the driest part of the year, the piano will be
and
>equivalent amount flat.  Which gives us a piano that is moving over a
range of
>50 cents.  There is small chance an instrument will stay in reasonable
tune or
>condition with this much movement.
>    A ETD will get it close enough for school use in about 90 minutes, but
>there sure can't be a whole lot of stability in there.
>REgards,
>Ed Foote

Generally they are not that sharp at the end of the Summer. They do settle to
pitch by October and by December/January they may be a few beats flat. Then
I tune to 440 and the same thing happens next year.

This way I am not tuning them twice in September and twice again in Dec/Jan.
And in the mean time would be flat, about which teachers complained; they do
not mind or notice that they are a little sharp starting out the season.

So if I am having a hard time allocating funds for repairs and maintenence,
just think of the budget with p/r's added.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
Thanks go to Michael Wathen for placing the keypress on the Wapin site
http://www.wapin.com/clips/page.htm