pitch raises

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:54:42 -0500

Newton Hunt wrote:

 What is involved
is compression of the plate so stability is only a matter of getting the
stress on the plate.

A recent presentation by Jim Ellis, RPT, Knoxville, TN Chapter,
demonstrated quite effectively that changing the pitch of strings on the
piano involves quite a bit more than the compression of the plate.  He
demonstrates, using his model, that no matter how much you turn that pin,
the string takes its own sweet time in moving through the bearing points,
especially across the bridge, and that even with the hardest test blows,
the strings continue to move for quite some time afterwards until the
tension evens out.  "This is the best reason I can think of for having your
piano tuned regularly." - Jim Ellis, (paraphrased to the best of my
recollection).

Other factors include the changes in pressure on the downbearing and
soundboard as you move up the piano, effectively undoing, to some degree,
what you've just done.

Regarding all of these discussions:
I have always been taught that the piano is constantly changing and moving
and that no matter how well you set those pins and strings, the piano will
begin coming out of tune (to some degree) as soon as you leave.  I believe
it is vain for any of us to think that we can tune a piano and it won't
change.

As an aside, I have been told for years that my tunings hold longer than
"the last tuner's did."  I approach my work with humility and with great
respect for the piano and for the work of others and that I know that if I
pretend I know everything, the next piano might prove me wrong.

Jeff Tanner

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music
University of South Carolina