PTG standards for pitch raises.

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:00:24 -0500

Hello,
     I don't charge for pitch raises because they are a regular event on
90% of tunings.  In Michigan, I do almost as many pitch lowerings as
raisings.  When confronted with the very flat piano, I typically say the
following:

    "This instrument has been neglected as it hasn't been tuned in many
years.  Because the pitch is very flat (I demonstrate with a tuning
fork), tuning will drastically increase tension causing the piano to
structurally respond or settle during the tuning and in following days
and weeks.  I will go over your piano with one or two very fast "rough
in tunings" first to get it close before doing the final tuning so most
of the changes will occur and be corrected while I'm working.  Less time
will be given to the final tuning as the cost is the same and the tuning
will likely change alittle anyway.  A follow up tuning in a month is
best if perfection is important to you, but in either case it will be
ten years before the piano sounds anything like it does now.  Today
there is also a large risk of string breakage and some very slight
additional risk to the instrument itself.  If many strings break or some
unusual structural problems occur, it may not be possible to tune to
concert pitch"

     Most of the time strings don't break, all is well, and customer is
delighted that the piano escaped injury inspite of the neglect.  Upon
leaving, I remind them that the tuning will change some but that next
time, (if it isn't ten years away), will allow more stable and clearer
results.
      I spend the same amount of time whether it is a very flat spinet
or a fine grand at pitch where time is allocated to voicing and/or
regulating.  I actually enjoy the challenge of neglected pianos and feel
a great sense of satisfaction as I make a more radical difference.
     Concerning when to pitch raise, it depends entirely on the piano.
Generally well built pianos can survive a bigger pitch adjustment in a
final tuning.  My Motto, When in doubt, do a pitch raising!  On a 200
cents flat piano which is fairly new, (under about twenty years old), I
pitch raise in one drastic fifteen minute pass, with one third overshoot
or less if it's a well built piano.  If the strings are rusty and/or the
piano is old and some replaced strings are present, I would pitch raise
more gently with little or no overshoot and in two fifteen minute
passes.  I get the bass up first as these strings are the most
unpleasant to replace and that let me know early on if the piano can't
be raised to standard pitch.  Final tunings can be as short as half an
hour in severe cases.
-Mike Jorgensen RPT