Pitch raises, The Professional Standard

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 02:09:31 -0600

----------
> From: Dick Powell <dbpowell1@juno.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: RE: Pitch raises
> Date: Tuesday, November 24, 1998 3:06 PM
>
>  most customers I've run across don't know if they need a pitch
> raise

EXACTLY, and I don't waste time over the phone unless I know they know
what A-440 means.
	But  REGARDLESS of whether you "raise to pitch" or  NOT, the FIRST time
you tune ANY piano, it behooves you to write on the invoice, "second
tuning recomended in 30 days to six months".
	How much TIME  spent on this first tuning is up to you,  like wise your
fee.
	Before two to three pages are written in defense of this practice,
suffice it to say, there is NO WAY you can predict what ANY piano will do
after the first time you tune it.
The only true diagnosis of whether a piano will hold its tune is at least
two sometimes three tunings.  (modify that by a factor of how much
experience you have and the number of professional seniors you know that
will back you up)
	If your objectives are honest and your skills acceptable, common sense
should dictate.....
THIS IS THE PROFESSIONAL STANDARD!

Richard Moody