PTG standards for pitch raises.

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:27:09 -0600

Hi Bill,
           A very refreshing post, if those that are reading it, would
think of the business implications with their approach. Walk a mile in the
customers shoes, they are not dummies, they just will not call back.
  I am JUST an associate, but I will never lower my standards to this kind
of rip off. I have come across many techs over the years that use PR as a
lame excuses for poor pin setting, and indifferent tuning quality. Hell
they want the piano in tune before they start work.
  The customer has a right to know up front what the charge is going to be,
just like the routine oil change on the car. That is honorable. It is not
the customers fault if the tech cannot raise the piano 20c and end up with
a reasonable commercial tuning.
  A 20c + swing is just normal seasonal adjustments in this neck of the
woods, perhaps we get more practice?
  A 50c PR is one fast 25% over pull and a tuning 1 1/2 times standard tuning.
  Much of my time is spent travelling as a trouble shooter for a respected
mfg. I have loss count of the number of so say, faulty sound boards,
bridges, and pin blocks that have been blamed for tuning instability, when
the real culprit has been poor tuning, pin setting, and bridge seating.
  Perhaps we need a positive and pro active discussion, on how to
commercially PR a piano to the benifit of the customer and ourselves. In a
business sense they are mutually inclusive. The old PTG guide lines that I
remember, does nothing to enhance our proffessional image. As
proffessionals most of what we do is PR a piano??????
 Now I will wear my flame suit and get off the pulpit.
Regards Roger

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina