Tech recommendation/south Memphis area

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:42:26 -0600

Mr. Tuttle,
When you take your tuning exam you will learn that there are standards that
technicians and piano owners should expect and that blaming an unstable
tuning on humidity is unacceptable _under conditions such as this_.  I
tuned that piano for the lady for years and the piano held a tuning very
well.  It is a fine quality instrument WITH an Dampp Chaser system
installed properly.  No tuning stays perfectly for very long, but on the
other hand my customer base has always exceeded 700 because one tuner's
tuning lasts for 6 months while another will not last 6 weeks due to
laziness and incompetence (not setting pins).  When I took the tuning exam
they could not knock my unisons out and were surprised at how hard they had
to hit them to move them at all.  I would also mention that bad unisons are
what most of our customers have a problem with, not the slow movement of
the bridges due to humidity fluctuation.

This lady doesn't expect "perfect" for long periods, but because of the
service she got previously she knows the piano shouldn't have to be tuned
every three months.  She also gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and had
him over twice. Thanks to me, the woman in question is very well educated,
as all of our customers should be, so that tuners don't take advantage of
them and charge full price for a half-fast job.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net