Charging for pitch raises

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:34:45 -0400

List et all

Depending on how many pulls I have to give to the piano, I charge a 30% of
the tuning per pull.
I normaly explain to the customer all what is to be done, I tell him it will
need several tunings at shorter intervals if it does, and I am very careful
to specifie it in the receit. Plus I have my own computer receits, and on
their back I have printed recommendations I called it " How to make your
piano last longer" and I mention general rules for New tunings or very flat
pianos, humidity, piano finish. I always insist for the client to read it.
I never live it up to the customer to call me, I schedule it in the computer
when the time is due I call him, you would be surprised the amount of times
i received this type of answers, quote:

1  "Oh Mr. Degen, glad you called me, I know the tuning is due, but I cannot
find your phone number.

I also insert in the piano (I mentioned it before ) a life sheet, it
contains my number, they donīt even remember about that...

2  "Glad you called me, I have been so busy, I keep forgeting to call
you....

These are customers that could be lost otherwise, if you live it up to them
they will never call.

The ones that remember a high initial price are very few, and normaly the
ones that keep complaining after they had a good explanation and a good job
are not desireable customers.

90% of the times new customers require PR and other details, so initial
price normaly is higher.
The ones I handled to whom I specified everything, explained everything, and
did a good job, sometimes live because (that is my opinion) as time goes by
they have no point of comparision. One day they will tell you they think you
are to expensive and live. 60% of thos customers call me back on the turn of
a year max two. the other 40% I am not interested in them (other technicians
are also allowed to live )

about Clydes post,
Even though sometimes it is tempting to punish some of your customers I have
my own rules about charging pitch rises.

I have an idea of the time it takes me, I know that roughly i spent the
equivalent of 1/3 of what it takes me to tune a piano that I service
regularly.  so I charge 30% more.

Elian Degen
Piano Tuner and Technician
Caracas, Venezuela  degen@telcel.net.ve
Phone 58-2-748547/ 58-14-9222981 Fax 58-2-748547